Friday, October 1, 2010

Arrival in India
























I arrived in India in mid September to begin a year-long project that will chronicle the Grand Trunk Road (an ancient trade route similar to the Silk Road) as it exists today through paintings and audio interviews. It's already proving to be quite an adventure, as I came to Delhi with my family as well.

Here, I feel as though the roads change constantly- both because of the human traffic as well as the infrastructure updates. As one might imagine, there are positives and negatives to these shifts. I want to show how this is affecting the communities and individuals along this major route between Delhi and Kolkatta.

I'm grateful to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars and the United States India Educational Foundation for making this project possible through a Fulbright-Nehru grant, and for Sanskriti Kendra for the residency fellowship where I have my studio.

















Please check back for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment